Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Zinaida Gippius’ 150th Birthday

  • ow-based artist Masha Shishova. Below, she shares her thoughts behind the making of this Doodle:

    Q: Why was this topic meaningful to you personally? 
    A: I love Russian art at the beginning of the 20th century. It was a hard time for the country, but beautiful for the artistic world. In Russia, it is called the Silver Age of poetry and Gippius was one of the central figures in this world. I love the fact that she was such a contradictory character, powerful and enigmatic.

    Q: What were your first thoughts when you were approached about the project?
    A: I thought “Oh wow, great! I need to create an edgy character,” and that’s the most exciting thing for me in an illustration. She was a beautiful woman who loved to confront society’s standards. It's also about Russian Symbolism that was dark, mysterious, and magical. I like the aesthetics a lot.

    Q: Did you draw inspiration from anything in particular for this Doodle? 
    A: My main reference was definitely the portrait of Gippius by Lev Bakst. I liked the attitude of Zinaida in this drawing, her pose, and her facial expression like she doesn't care at all what you might think of her. I wanted to express the same attitude in my Doodle. I've also listened to different documental podcasts about Gippius, her life, and her poetry.

    Q: What message do you hope people take away from your Doodle?
    A: I hope by seeing this Doodle, people will want to know more about Gippius, her art, the time she lived in, and other poets and artists that surrounded her.



    Early concept sketch & draft of the Doodle

  • This Doodle's Reach

20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle1-Zinaida Gippius 150th Birthday-JPEG
20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle2

-Early Concept Sketch & Draft _ 1 _ of the Doodle-

Zinaida Gippius 150th Birthday

-JPEG-
20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle3-Early Concept Sketch & Draft _ 2 _ of the Doodle-Zinaida Gippius 150th Birthday-JPEG

1 comment:

  1. (1) 20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle1-Zinaida Gippius’ 150th Birthday-JPEG.

    (2) 20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle2-Early Concept Sketch & Draft _ 1 _ of the Doodle-Zinaida Gippius’ 150th Birthday-JPEG.

    (3) 20.11.2019-Wednesday-புதன்-Doodle3-Early Concept Sketch & Draft _ 2 _ of the Doodle-Zinaida Gippius’ 150th Birthday-JPEG.

    ReplyDelete